We all could use a few more Budget Friendly tips for a Greener Lifestyle. My real estate agent just sent me a list of things I could do to save money and respect the environment. Here are a few tips I learned and hopefully you can apply. Take some action today!
- Switch to an ultra-low-flow shower head–it can save you $100 per year and save 12,000 gallons of water.
- Replace ALL your light bulbs with compact fluorescent lights (CFL) or LED lights. It can save you $110 per year and save 1,000 kilowatt hours of electricity.
- Install a programmable thermostat–and then program it for when you are at work. You could save up to $250 a year. In my area the Electric company will come put one in and will give you a rebate if you let them recycle your power during energy crisis times.
- Caulk any cracks around your doors, windows or patios. This can save you up to 10% in your energy bill.
- Change your air filter every 3 months on your HVAC unit! So guilty of not doing this! It can save me $80 a year!
- Turn off the water while you are brushing your teeth! I work hard at this one because I know I brush for 2 minutes and it is such a waste of water.
- Lower the temperature to 120 degrees on your water heater. I just checked my temperature and it was higher, but I will say, during the last hurricane when I was out of power for 3 days, I was able to take a shower with pretty warm water. BUT, I did set the temperature to 120 this week.
- Unplug appliances, computers, chargers, etc when not in use! These kinds of devices may appear to me off, but if they are plugged, they are drawing power. I felt my phone charger one night and was surprised that it was warm to the touch–it had been plugged in all day.
- Reuse your bath towel. happy to say I already do this one! A family that hangs up their own towel and reuses it several times will save 3,400 gallons of water, 50 therms of natural gas, 410 kilowatt-hours and about $105 per year!