I thought I would take a few minutes and write some thoughts about the Twitter World! I have a twitter account -@DiDoodlings. Feel free to follow me! I also have a personal account I use for work related things and to follow family and friends. I started the DiDoodlings account when I began to follow some other bloggers. I have since learned a ton about how to use that account to promote my blog, enter contests, attend Twitter parties and meet a lot of new friends.
So, if you do not have a Twitter account, here is how to get started.
Go to Twitter. Sign up for an account. Your name will appear in your public profile, no matter what your user name is…so if you don’t want to let the whole world know all your business right away, use part of your name. Add a password. Maybe add a picture. (I used a stock seasonal photo at first).
Twitter has some similarities to Facebook in that a group of people begin to follow you and you begin to follow people also. Twitter will suggest some famous accounts you can follow, but I just started following those whose blogs I had read. Now I add people I meet via a Twitter party or blog hop. Go here to follow me. On Twitter you click on the follow button and if they have an open account, you will automatically begin getting their twitter updates. If they have a private account, you will have to wait for their approval. I have an open account, but I watch my list and delete those following me who I think are strange or are promoting things I do not want to endorse. The biggest difference between Facebook and Twitter is that you can only post/share things that are 144 characters or less on Twitter.
I have Twitter on my iPhone so when I have a few spare moments, I check the feed and see what others are saying. I have found out about some great deals, some great contests and some fun twitter parties.
So what is a Twitter Party you ask? So much fun packed into an hour or two. I try to attend at least one party a week. A lot are at night (after the kids are in bed for moms and after I get home from my latest meeting!). Each party is set up a bit different, but here are some generalities.
1. Sign in on the Twitter party hosts blog. Give your twitter account name. Most parties have a random drawing from all the registered guests. Some prizes are given before the party starts, some are given during the party.
2. At the appointed hour sign into your twitter account and make sure you are following the host and any others that you were instructed to follow when you signed up. For example, I attended a party hosted for Turtle Wax. I had to follow the host and two Turtle Wax people.
3. All parties will have a hashtag (#) word. For the Turtle Wax party it was #turtlewax. Every time I sent a tweet, I used that hashtag at the end of my sentence.
4. I use either tweetgrid, or tweetdeck to help me follow the conversation–because at times, hundreds of people are twittering at the same time and it is hard to follow the conversation without using one of those services. Put your hashtag word in the search box and it will begin showing all tweets using that hashtag.
5. Jump in and start talking.
6. Some parties, which are promoting a certain product may ask questions about the product/company’s website. Some parties give prizes to the first correct answer or to a certain numbered tweet. Some prizes are just randomly selected from all those you comment using the hashtag.
7. My helpful hint–I just reply to questions, make comments on others comments, retweet others statements or ask questions of the host. All in 144 characters!
8. I follow several sources to get the latest info on Twitter Parties. Resourceful Mom and TweeParties send out weekly emails with a list of all parties. I usually look over the list and register for any parties that interest me, even if I am not sure I will be able to attend. Why? I forgot to sign up for a party and then when I got home I remembered the party and it was too late to sign in.
How have I fared? I have won $30 of Turtle Wax products, a Purdue prize pack of a cookie sheet and 5 free product coupons, a paper lantern, a gift pack of Calgon products, a huge stuffed dog, a $25 gift card…..and I’m just getting started!
I have met some very interesting people and have enjoyed reading new blogs, entering new contests and growing my followers!
If you still have questions, leave a comment and I will answer you–if I can! I hope to see you on a Twitter party list soon!